New project: Vinagre – VNC client

Hi, folks. A couple of months ago, i started writing a VNC client for the GNOME desktop, called Vinagre.

Today, after three releases (0.1, 0.2 and 0.3), i think it is usable enough so that i can publish it. Maybe it’s not so stable that deserves a 1.0 version, but we are on the way.

That’s it, please, test it! Some random notes about it:

23 comments ↓

#1 bartman on 09.14.07 at 12:12 PM

Looks nice. I’ll wait for Debian to catchup so I can build it…

Requested ‘gtk+-2.0 >= 2.11.0′ but version of GTK+ is 2.10.13

I don’t know if you have a full screen mode, but it would be awesome to fold the GUI to just show the tabs and the content.

#2 Andrew Jorgensen on 09.14.07 at 12:24 PM

Awesome! This is something I’ve been hoping for for a long time – can’t wait to try it out. One other thing I’ve been hoping for is support for scaling, possibly using XVideo, and of course encryption.

Keep up the great work!

#3 Andrew Jorgensen » Blog Archive » We have a new VNC client! on 09.14.07 at 12:32 PM

[…] my older post on the subject and Jonh Wendell’s post announcing the new project. I’m not claiming any credit here, I’m just thrilled that […]

#4 Peteris Krisjanis on 09.14.07 at 12:32 PM

Hi John!

Superb job, it is long awaited update, because Xvncviewer and rest of band shows age already.

One question though – what would require to get scale support to Vinagre? It would be possible due of Composite/Cairo stuff pouring into Xorg/GNOME? It is killer feature and is reason why I am very resistant to use VNC as client on Linux (However, I do it, because I have no big choice).

I already submitted enhancement bug for this.

Keep on rockin! :)

#5 Vladimir Melo on 09.14.07 at 12:47 PM

Congratulations,

Once more when I find a interesting work, you are the one behind it. This time as a developer. Thanks for being helpful everytime I ask you to commit my patches.
See you.

#6 bersace on 09.14.07 at 12:50 PM

Congrats, i was just looking for such project two weeks ago !

Does 0.3 support avahi ? Even with –enable-avahi, i don’t have “Find” button :/ Sorry for the bug report.

You rock !

#7 Michael R. Head on 09.14.07 at 01:25 PM

Oh, awesome! I’ve taken to using VNC a lot lately, and the existing clients are really weak.

#8 Bob on 09.14.07 at 01:40 PM

Hey, interesting ! Could you add it to the GTP please ?

#9 Aleksi on 09.14.07 at 01:56 PM

Hi!

Looks great! Could you add “ssh terminal connection” feature too? It would be great if users could lauch vnc and ssh terminal connections from same program.

Aleksi

#10 Bob on 09.14.07 at 03:08 PM

Thanks for the GTP thing o/ I’ll work on it soon.

#11 Bob on 09.14.07 at 06:13 PM

(BTW your fsf address at ../src/vinagre-commands.c:243 is outdated, see http://www.fsf.org/about/contact.html )

#12 Alan Horkan on 09.14.07 at 11:52 PM

So – I read the about page but still wondered – is Vinagre a replacement for Vino or just an alternative?

I may be in the minority but I really don’t like it when applications fail to use a file menu (especially if that menu contains File manipulations such as Open and Save, unlike task based applications like those in Gnome Games or Calculator which do not manipulate files). The Gnome Guidelines explain when it is acceptable not to have a File menu, it doesn’t encourage applications to abandon it entirely. If the menu is long you may well find the File functionality could be seperated out into a File menu and give the Remote Machine functionality a top level menu all its own.

“Favorites” is also unfortunate in that not only is it terribly inconsistent with Gnome and many other programs it is one of those few words that does not share a common spelling in British English and American, creating unnecessary localisation work (especially annoying since “Favorites” is very often a nonsense, I may mark and create shortcuts to frequently used things for work which are far from being fun or anyones favourite). Perhaps developers could consider ways to automatically keep some kind of recently used list or history and reduce the need users might have to manually mark things as more important. For users frequently only using a few choices this would be especially helpful, although bookmarks (or favourites) might still be of use for those frequently using many different choices.

Any chance you might make it so that Tabs only shown when there is more than one, just as most web browsers behave?

This post may come across as overly critical but I’m very glad to see developers providing these kinds of graphical applications so that even the most command-line-phobic users can more easily benefit from technologies such as VNC that might seem intimidating at first.

#13 Luca on 09.15.07 at 05:02 AM

Great app!!
Only one thing: is it possible to compile against gtk

#14 Luca on 09.15.07 at 05:04 AM

Sorry for my previous post, I made a mistake
Is it possible to compile against gtk 2.10?
I have made a package for Arch Linux distribution (ver 0.2) but I can’t update to version 0.3

#15 bmt on 09.15.07 at 03:59 PM

Hi!

I have been using v0.1 and watching for news of newer versions, so I was disappointed to see that Feisty is already too old for vinagre v0.3. =-O

./configure also complains that a requirement for gtk-vnc-1.0 is not met — hardly surprising, as v0.2.0 has only just been released. ;-)

#16 Rob on 09.16.07 at 12:17 PM

Does it double-buffer the screen image to make it easier to quickly switch between tabs/apps?

My biggest frustration with tightvnc / xvncviewer is that if I alt-tab between windows it seems to need to re-download the parts of the screen that were obscured.

#17 Sigmatador on 09.17.07 at 07:15 AM

Hi, great job, thanks!

Would you consider supporting other protocol than VNC, such as NX or RDP ? (Honestly I don’t care about RDP even though it could be useful for some people, but I think it’s time for Gnome to have its own NX client, it’s really needed)

Regards.

#18 Sigmatador on 09.17.07 at 07:15 AM

And btw, it will be in gentoo soon ;)

#19 Svaigs.lv » Blog Archive » Pēteris Krišjānis: Xvncviewer must die on 09.24.07 at 12:37 AM

[…] VNC ieslēgšanu/izslēgšanu, kā arī konfigurēšanu). Sauc to Vinagre, un tas jau ir sasniedzis 0.3 versiju. Cerams, ka izstrādātājs neapstāsies, un aizies līdz galam. Gaidām mērogošanas un […]

#20 Samuel deHuszar Allen on 03.13.08 at 10:03 PM

I would like to 2nd my vote for adding an ssh tunneling feature. I currently do all my VNCing with the -via switch for the sake of security. Being able to manage key pairs and compression would put it on par with NoMachine.

#21 Barbara62 on 10.13.09 at 06:43 AM

He probably just thought they were lame examples of jokes I gave but he should know jokes don’t always translate well to the page. ,

#22 Barbara33 on 10.22.09 at 06:58 AM

The same is true of editors. ,

#23 Bob16 on 10.23.09 at 06:32 AM

As we face the future, the prognosis for the dollar and for the international monetary system is grim indeed. ,