Looking for new maintainers

Hi, folks. Vino and Vinagre are an one-person projects. Since I hadn’t have been much time to improve them, I decided to look for new blood, new maintainers. Perhaps this will be a hard task, since nobody seems to care much about these two GNOME modules.

Anyway, if you are interested, send me an email.

16 comments ↓

#1 Juanjo on 12.12.10 at 08:34 AM

I wouldn’t say nobody cares much about them.

I use vino and vinagre, it’s very useful to have VNC access to a Gnome desktop when you’re far away of home and your mom needs remote support ;)

I’m not volunteering myself because I don’t think I have the knowledge to succeed (honestly), but I wanted to tell you that I actually use both modules and that I think they are important for the Gnome desktop.

In fact, when something doesn’t work right with those modules, it’s really a PITA (for example, it has -had?- problems with compiz).

#2 Looking for new maintainersJonh Wendell | 9nd.pl on 12.12.10 at 08:40 AM

[...] Jonh Wendell Posted by Bez kategorii Subscribe to RSS feed [...]

#3 dobu on 12.12.10 at 03:38 PM

I do care about those modules, but sadly lack the skills to maintain and/or improve them.

vino is such a nice tool to have. It stays out of one’s way and ‘just works’. It’s one of my favorite gnome tools.

I just wanted to say thank you for all your efforts and all your time making those two tools. :-)

#4 Marcus on 12.12.10 at 07:11 PM

These projects are very important, please don’t think anything else. Thank you for the time you put into them, and I hope that you find anyone that is willing to continue to work with them.

#5 Steven R. Baker on 12.13.10 at 03:14 AM

I may be interested in doing this. Can you email me an IM or IRC way to get ahold of you so we can discuss further?

Thanks!

#6 Jonh Wendell on 12.13.10 at 08:34 AM

Hi, Steven. Take a look at the About page above.

#7 Wayne Schuller on 12.14.10 at 06:29 AM

Vinagre has become one of my most commonly used applications. I love it and it helps improve productivity between my different desktops.

#8 Jody Harris on 01.10.11 at 02:28 PM

Wow! “Nobody cares.” Absolutely NOT true. This is an indispensable tool for many people, but we do take it for granted. Like so many others, I have no skills to contribute, but this tool is VERY important and constantly being used.

#9 Mavis Baritone on 01.27.11 at 11:42 PM

John, Many thanks for this product. I use it to guide my students on several laptops.

#10 Joe Julian on 02.23.11 at 04:17 PM

Amazing that you would think that nobody cares! I was so happy to find vinagre after being stuck with all the old clients that were the defaults for Fedora prior to now. I would consider vino/vinagre being installed by default with Fedora as significant validation.

The reason you don’t know what a great tool you’ve created is mostly because you’ve created such a great tool. I, for one, have had no reason to even know who wrote these tools because they haven’t shown any problems. Thank you.

#11 Hal on 03.09.11 at 08:04 AM

I use vinaigre every day to access a headless box I have at home. It makes my life so much easier than the tightvnc client I used to use. It does everything I want. (The only things I would change are the wasted screen estate thanks to the blank grey bar at the bottom of the screen and the button bar at the top).

#12 foredi gel gorontalo on 03.30.11 at 10:57 PM

Thank You for such a great idea!….

#13 Jordan Erickson on 04.08.11 at 04:28 AM

I use Vinagre constantly for my clients. I love it. Thank you so much for all of your work. This is a VNC client that just works, and the UI actually makes sense in a Gnome context!

I bet there would be a big fire lit under the *ss of Vino/Vinagre had VNC repeater (ID) support. Look at http://chunkvnc.com – I guess its a new incarnation on the old UltraVNC SingleClick add-on. There’s a repeater (Linux perl script) which allows you to traverse NAT routers (in 2 different modes). Being able to use the “stock” Gnome VNC client+server to support a repeater would be absolute GOLD for remote Linux support as it would get rid of the whole port-forwarding mess that is too hard to explain to someone over the phone.

I would be willing to fund that feature depending on the asking price..so if you find someone that takes up the project, let them know. :)

I pasted the code here: http://pastebin.com/5hJPNTG1

#14 David King on 04.08.11 at 09:06 AM

Just to let everyone know, I have taken over maintainership of Vino and Vinagre, as of the start of March 2011. Jordan, I will be in contact once I have had a good look through the Perl script and the ChunkVNC website. In the meantime, maybe the UPnP forwarding feature of Vino would be useful? You can see it in the Vino preferences (Configure network automatically to accept connections), although that string has now been updated.

#15 Miguel Sanjurjo on 04.14.11 at 05:36 PM

I also use Vinagre and Vino quite a lot. I consider them great and elegant little tools. It would be great to have RDP support. Is there a plugin I don’t know about?
Thank you all for the good work and greetings,

#16 JustinWuB on 08.27.11 at 01:37 PM

Hi there,

This is the ubuntu fan from China~

I have one problem, that I cannot select the vnc plug-in from the remote desktop. It’s gray and disable.

What should I do to enable it?

Thanks and have a nice weekend~